Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wuzzled

his addiction continues to haunt even clean

urgh - I typed this once and cyperspace ate it! Maybe that is a omen that I shouldn't redo it. The first one was long, so I'll try to shorten.

long story, short - I have been able to deduct 100% of my health insurance premium because I am self-employed and until now, have not had health insurance offered through my husband's employer. Now his employer is offering him health insurance so I will no longer be able to deduct my premium. This is a huge deduction for me about $2400.

He has lost 2 "great" jobs over the last 10 years due to his drug addiction, one of which offered great insurance at a cheap price. Now he is working a low paying job, which until now, I thought offered no benefits. He has had this job for almost a year.

We don't need health insurance on him because he is a disabled vet and the VA Hospital provides him with medical care for life at no cost to us. The insurance they are offering would cover both, for approximately $10 more a month than I'm currently paying and the coverage is no where near as good as what I have now. So definitely no cost savings there!

I am feeling like I am still "paying" for his addiction. He works for $8.20 an hour, and because they are "offering" health insurance, I am going to lose $2400 in deductions on my schedule "C"! This sucks. Because they are offering, I will lose money! Our finances already suck, thanks to his addiction!

I keep thinking we should "divorce" so I can keep my deduction, and I'd probably be able to claim head-of-household too.

Any tax experts out there? Sorry for the rant, I am just pretty angry about this, and stressed out already.

I am really feeling stuck. I have though about divorce anyway, but worry about being able to keep my house, and since I work from my home (childcare), I need to have my house in order to have a job. This is all I've done for over 17 years, this is all I know.

Sometimes I think this might be an opening for me to get a divorce so the tax thing would work out, and get my house, then later, if I really want him out, it would be easy and the divorce would already be done and property settled. This seems kinda deceitful though, not for tax purposes, but for divorcing him purposes. I am feeling pretty screwed.

Anyway, again, sorry for the rant I just don't know what to do, and I'm tired of trying to figure things out.

I guess I should just be grateful I have health insurance, but now the cost of maintaining it just went substantially up, don't know if I can afford to keep it without the deduction!!!