View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adragonfly

Health concerns...

okay this may be a really stupid question....

How do you get beyond the honest worry about an alcoholic's health?

My hubby is a moderate drinker through the week, but binge drinks heavily on week ends. We've been married forever LOL, but this alcohol addiction has only been present the last 6 years. It started off small and is increasing all the time.

In an effort to detach a bit, and take care of myself I'm becoming more involved with things I enjoy. So instead of sitting home all weekend watching him drink and all that involves, I'm getting out more by myself.

I've always been very active in my church, but had given most of that up in the past 10 years. Now I'm deciding if he's going to be passed out drunk all weekend, it's a waste of my time to sit here and simply watch. So I'm back to being a chaperone for our youth kids. This weekend we are taking the kids out of town for a small overnight retreat. Not sure if I'll even have reception on my cell phone as it's a cabin in the woods. I so enjoy working with the teens, and honestly I'm good at it. So this is very much something I want to pursue and stay involved in.

my problem... How do i get beyond actually worrying about his health while i'm gone. i KNOW he will drink more with me not in the house, and honestly he's teetering on dangerous levels even when i'm home. I know he's an adult, and it's not my place to take care of him, but i can't seem to get past the very phyiscal and emotional fear that I'll come home and find him unconscious on the floor with a head injury, or soemthing.