Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
brother
its a half an inch of water

In another Step1 thread, Sugah wrote: "As problematic as my drinking was, the real problems started when I got sober. It's time to start taking care of those problems by applying the solution to them -- or else the wine is going to start looking like the answer again."

13 years ago, I only wanted to learn to abstain from a 20yr drinking habit. I put in a little effort at AA, tried controlled drinking after 30 days, and finally found the daily approach that put drinking in my past.

THEN my "pink cloud" faded and life got real. I reasoned that self-reliance had given me material success, education, status etc. These things were no longer in immediate danger from my hangovers, blackouts, dui, etc. I struggled unhappily, staying dry with a little 12 step knowledge and self-sponsorship. hooo boy!

I've lost most of those things despite "getting over the bottle" by avoiding recovery work aimed at "getting over myself" - which led me to pills as a solution.
So I'm back at Step 1, trying to sort out how/why my life is unmanageable, particularly when not drinking/using.