Notices

Questions to ask yourself while working Step 1

Old 09-26-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
JJB

hey thanks for this new section on each step.
At last i can try working the steps on my own-well not really on my own of course -with you!
My computer is being funny and amongst other things i can't thanks posts so i had to post this reply to share how useful i found this thread
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is a great thread for us newcomers. Thank you. Going to work on my first step now!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

thanks.. i have been floating around for awhile, this is good...

1What does it mean to be so powerless over alcohol that you are unable to manage your life?

i promised myself i would stop drinking, 'tomorrow' for TWO YEARS. the last year has been frightening, yes i drank alone, because i preferred it! i would turn down invitations because it would mean i couldnt drink how i wanted to, ie quickly.. i could drink a bottle of wine in an hour, and i thought i was controlling it, because i only did this on weekends, weeknights was only 3/4 bottle!

i attended functions with people who i didnt know all that well, and had to be taken home in taxies, black outs, couldnt remember!

my work was falling apart, i work from home, though still on wages, i couldnt do it, excuse every time, if it had gone on much longer i would have been hauled in! i am back on track now..

boy oh boy, first time i have written this down... and to think i was starting to question myself, and thinking i might be able to have a couple of casual drinks!! oh oh!

time to start working those steps

thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm feeling the same way. This has really helped.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
its a half an inch of water

In another Step1 thread, Sugah wrote: "As problematic as my drinking was, the real problems started when I got sober. It's time to start taking care of those problems by applying the solution to them -- or else the wine is going to start looking like the answer again."

13 years ago, I only wanted to learn to abstain from a 20yr drinking habit. I put in a little effort at AA, tried controlled drinking after 30 days, and finally found the daily approach that put drinking in my past.

THEN my "pink cloud" faded and life got real. I reasoned that self-reliance had given me material success, education, status etc. These things were no longer in immediate danger from my hangovers, blackouts, dui, etc. I struggled unhappily, staying dry with a little 12 step knowledge and self-sponsorship. hooo boy!

I've lost most of those things despite "getting over the bottle" by avoiding recovery work aimed at "getting over myself" - which led me to pills as a solution.
So I'm back at Step 1, trying to sort out how/why my life is unmanageable, particularly when not drinking/using.