Thread: Almost 3 months
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
keithj

Why do we do this? Give somebody a pat on the butt and tell them what a great job they are doing when we know they are just fooling themselves? Is it because we don't want to hurt somebody's feelings or scare them off, or because we're afraid they won't like us much? I don't get it. Don't we have something better to offer than a cheerleading section?

Jazz, I'm in a really good mood today, so try not to take this as a grumpy reply. I'm happy that you have stopped drinking for a couple of months, and it's not surprising that you feel physically better.

But this is serious business. I believe what the Big Book says about a physical allergy to alcohol. For me, and for most other non-AA folks around here, complete abstinence is recommended. You are not sober. And that's OK. Lots of people come to this site with a desire to be sober or making attempts to do so. What jumps out at me is that you talk about working the 12 steps and you're still smoking pot. What does your sponsor say about this?

Originally Posted by jazzz View Post
I've started doing steps 1, 2 and 3 with my sponsor and I think I've "got it".
Honestly, I don't see how your pot smoking is compatible with Step 1. It is, however, and outside issue as far as AA is concerned. But as far as actually taking the Steps where honesty is required, I don't think it flies.

Originally Posted by jazzz View Post
And of course to admit to yourself that you're reeeally an alcoholic.
Here's the kicker, jazz. To know if you're really an alcoholic, you have to know what it means to be an alcoholic, according to the BB. It's really not any of my business, except as it concerns AA as a whole, but I think you suffer from horrible sponsorship. Someone that probably tells you you're doing great when really you aren't getting it at all.

Although my post is harsh, jazz, I actually do want to see you get sober and help if I can. If you want to get serious about it, and turn that 3 months into something permanent, it might help to really sit down with the BB with someone that knows what they are talking about.