Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I am also very afraid of going to AA and seeing someone I know there - like someone who works at my work or lives in my neighborhood - and my facade of being functional cracking.
Payton you are not alone in that fear, first thing is that it is called Alcoholics Anonymous for a reason, it is an Anonymous program. That is not to say that some clown may bust you out, but the odds are pretty darn low. Think about it this way, let us say you go to an AA meeting and you see some one you work with there, what are you going to do.

Would you go back to work and say to every one "Guess who I saw at AA last night?" Heck no you would not do that because then the person you were telling would naturally ask "What were you doing there?" Now think a lottle harder, do you think they are going to rat you out? Nope, because they would be ratting them selfs out at the same time.

I work near DC, you would be amazed at who attends AA meetings on Capitol Hill! That is right!!! Some of the men and women who run this great country of ours, including elected officials at the fedral level are in AA! Now let us think about some of the rag newspapers like the National Enquirer, they could have a hay day with that knowledge if they chose to.

I personally know lawyers, prominant businessmen, even a Federal Judge in AA. There are several people I work with that work for the government in AA, I am a goverment contractor.

Here is a question to ask your self "Would I rather be known as a DRUNK or a recovering alcoholic in AA?

For me I today could give a rats patoot if some one knows I am in AA, I do not advertise it, but it is not a secret either.

A little over 3 years ago I was known by my family and many friends as a drunk, today they know me as a recovering alcoholic and not one of them has shunned me for being a recovering alcoholic, many of them did shun me when I was a drunk.

You know I used to think I did such a great job of fooling almost everyone about me being a drunk, today now that I am sober I am fully aware the only person I was fooling was ME!!!!