Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lionne
not little, a stranger no more

I don't think that live music and sobriety have to be exclusive from each other. I am not AA, but have taken some very active measures for my ongoing recovery and sobriety, and some things I am doing are very similar to the steps of AA, like making an inventory of my life and taking reponsibility for stupid and hurtful things I did to others while drinking.

I go to lots of live concerts, and while there's alcohol around, most of the people I go with to shows don't drink when they go to concerts, because we're there for the music anyways.

Concerning the friendships, I agree with those who say there is a difference between drinking buddies and real friends. I have experienced both. Those that are longtime friends didn't ask many questions about my choice not to drink. It was acknowledged positively and that was it. They are at best moderate drinkers, so alcohol never was a key element of our social interaction Spending time with them has always been fun regardless if there was alcohol involved or not.

I have distanced myself from those people who were questioning my choice, trying to convince me to have a drink with them although I made it clear that I am not drinking anymore or were plain drinking buddies. My exact feelings were: If me not drinking is an issue for you, get the f*** out! I was pretty defiant about this, especially in the beginning, but it proved to be the right choice.

Congrats on your 3 months, and have a good sober day,
S.