Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chino

I think it's a good sign that your husband confessed.

It sounds like your husband needs rehab for addiction, not just tapering for dependence. There are options for quitting: cold turkey + 12 step program, medical detox + inpatient rehab, medical detox + out patient rehab. Each one will probably require at least a few days of nothing but detoxing from the drug. He needs help but it doesn't matter if he doesn't accept that.

If he isn't willing to do any of that, he isn't ready to quit since tapering is out of the question. Ask him if he's ready to do what it takes to quit. If he says yes, his actions will speak the truth.

If you want to help him find help, look for local NA/AA meetings, and detox/rehabs in your area. Give him the information and let him decide what he wants to do.

Look for Alanon or Naranon meetings for yourself. A very important thing I learned here was to work the program we wish they would. My daughter is not responsible for my reactions to her addiction, just as I am not responsible for her addiction. Each of us have to own our issues, our recoveries.

I'm glad you're mad. It means you have some boundaries and this is not acceptable to you. Please try to make that anger work for you and get as much help and support as you can. The goal isn't to make them stop (we can't), it's to learn how to deal with it on our terms without compromising ourselves, our personal boundaries and value systems.

The advice about your finances is rock solid.