Thread: Update
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

Update

Well, as they say, "what's old is new again!"
And that saying just isn't for fashion! LOL!

Trevor went back out for more research again. He had finished a program last summer. This was the first one he had ever finished. Then he got put on another federal program that would pay for six months of a half way house, medication, job training.... He had to be in the house for the other stuff to kick in. Can you guess???

Yup! No housing available!

So, what else is new in Rhode Island!
Oh, and during the summer, that's the "easy" time to get into a house, a rehab, what-have-you, because junkies can make it on the streets during the warm weather. But, the state has taken all the funding away, so, there's less funding than ever!

Long story short, I haven't seen him since Monday. He was going to a class offered by some agency. He heard about it from his mental health doctor. I dropped him off in the morning, and haven't seen him since. He didn't answer his phone any time I called.

The 2 of the local police came to my door today. I've been home with bronchitis since Wednesday. They said if I heard from him, to have him call the police in the next town; that it would be "in his best interest" to do so. I told them that I would do so, and that his phone went right to the answering machine when I called, indicating that it was either turned off, or out of juice.

About 1/2 hour later, I got a call from Trevor. He had been picked up by the Providence police. He said he would be going away for a while. If he was lucky, he said, they would let him do another program. Then, he asked me for money for jail. I said no.

The worst part is this. Trevor's kidneys have failed numerous times. The last time, he almost died. The doctors have said that this is not due to his drug use, but, they do not know why. But, because he's a drug user, they continually just let him out of the hospital once he was stabilized. That is, until this last time.

The last time, he almost died. He was in intensive care for 5 days. (I was in the Azores at the time, and did not even know about it until I returned! During that time, he had been told by the local police that he would be arrested if he was at my house. That was not only untrue, but, I had a statement at the police station, saying that he and the painters COULD be at my house. As a result of their action, Trevor, just out of the rehab, was homeless on the streets in the city... But, I digress...) Anyway, a social worker at the hospital took charge, thank G*D!

He has an appointment in Boston; at Mass General Hospital o the 17th of November thanks to this social worker. I don't even know this person's name. But, Trevor will be in prison now. And I don't know what he is charged with, but, he knows he is going away for a while, so, it's doubtful that they will let him go to Boston for his kidneys.

And the doctors at the prison are a joke. Dispite his diagnoses, they refuse to give him medication for bipolar, and will only treat him for depression, which brings on mania. So, Trevor won't take it, because then, he gets segregation for acting out! So, the doctors are not going to be any help at all, concerning his kidneys. They should be charged with malpractice! Instead, they are protected by the state. And Trevor will be in their hands.

Trevor is responsible for his drug use, and the consequences of it. My hands are off this part of it, I know. But, damn it!

G*D give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Shalom!