Update

Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Update

Well, as they say, "what's old is new again!"
And that saying just isn't for fashion! LOL!

Trevor went back out for more research again. He had finished a program last summer. This was the first one he had ever finished. Then he got put on another federal program that would pay for six months of a half way house, medication, job training.... He had to be in the house for the other stuff to kick in. Can you guess???

Yup! No housing available!

So, what else is new in Rhode Island!
Oh, and during the summer, that's the "easy" time to get into a house, a rehab, what-have-you, because junkies can make it on the streets during the warm weather. But, the state has taken all the funding away, so, there's less funding than ever!

Long story short, I haven't seen him since Monday. He was going to a class offered by some agency. He heard about it from his mental health doctor. I dropped him off in the morning, and haven't seen him since. He didn't answer his phone any time I called.

The 2 of the local police came to my door today. I've been home with bronchitis since Wednesday. They said if I heard from him, to have him call the police in the next town; that it would be "in his best interest" to do so. I told them that I would do so, and that his phone went right to the answering machine when I called, indicating that it was either turned off, or out of juice.

About 1/2 hour later, I got a call from Trevor. He had been picked up by the Providence police. He said he would be going away for a while. If he was lucky, he said, they would let him do another program. Then, he asked me for money for jail. I said no.

The worst part is this. Trevor's kidneys have failed numerous times. The last time, he almost died. The doctors have said that this is not due to his drug use, but, they do not know why. But, because he's a drug user, they continually just let him out of the hospital once he was stabilized. That is, until this last time.

The last time, he almost died. He was in intensive care for 5 days. (I was in the Azores at the time, and did not even know about it until I returned! During that time, he had been told by the local police that he would be arrested if he was at my house. That was not only untrue, but, I had a statement at the police station, saying that he and the painters COULD be at my house. As a result of their action, Trevor, just out of the rehab, was homeless on the streets in the city... But, I digress...) Anyway, a social worker at the hospital took charge, thank G*D!

He has an appointment in Boston; at Mass General Hospital o the 17th of November thanks to this social worker. I don't even know this person's name. But, Trevor will be in prison now. And I don't know what he is charged with, but, he knows he is going away for a while, so, it's doubtful that they will let him go to Boston for his kidneys.

And the doctors at the prison are a joke. Dispite his diagnoses, they refuse to give him medication for bipolar, and will only treat him for depression, which brings on mania. So, Trevor won't take it, because then, he gets segregation for acting out! So, the doctors are not going to be any help at all, concerning his kidneys. They should be charged with malpractice! Instead, they are protected by the state. And Trevor will be in their hands.

Trevor is responsible for his drug use, and the consequences of it. My hands are off this part of it, I know. But, damn it!

G*D give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Shalom!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will keep you and Trevor in my prayers, Teach. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-23-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi Teach.
Thanks for the update. I'm sending some extra prayers for Trevor and for you too; and hoping that this time he will find some solid recovery.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers Teach!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm so sorry that he's still struggling, Teach, but please know that I keep him in my prayers every day.

Big hugs to you, this hasn't been an easy road for you either. Just know I'm walking with you all the way.

Hugs
Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Teach))) I haven't been around for awhile but I wanted to say I am so sorry! I will keep you and Trevor in my prayers...
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

*prayers for Teach*

and

*prayers for Trevor*
Old 10-23-2009, 11:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Teach))) I'm so sorry Trevor had to do more research. As far as the kidney situation, the only time I've seen the prison or jails actually do something about a serious health issue is when a) someone high up in politics steps in, or b) the news media gets hold of it and then they are quickly able to do what needs to be done. Contrary to what you may think, most people don't think "let him suffer, he's in prison".

Just something to think about.

I'm sending he and you both tons and tons of hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Well hey Teach,
Sorry to hear about the Trev's circumstances, but you know I am a mother who is estatic, when my oldest is in jail. Problems start when they let him out. LOL

Hugs and prayers for you and Trevor and for his health.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers...

Imperfect,
I appreciate your thoughts on the kidney condition and how to get it addressed while Trevor is in prison. Our Federal Representative is Patrick Kennedy, son of the late Ted Kennedy, and a fervent advocate of mental health and health care. I could petition him for his help in this matter. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in the media, which would probably be a faster route. But, Kennedy might be a good advocate for him. So, thanks. Because I know I cannot trust the prison with his life, and his life is the issue here.

Ya know, I do wish, if this *had* to happen, it could have happened when I was feeling well. Having this go on when I"m already sick just adds to the misery I'm already feeling. Yes, I'll be fine. But, right now, I'm heartsick as well as body sick.
And life goes on. Day by day.

Shalom!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gee History, I am heartbroken! Darn, I thought things had been going well for you and your son, but guessed wrong.

I cannot tell you how much my heart goes out to you. It just isn't fair.

I know about that "witholding" meds in prison!

I will pray that you can get one of your representatives to listen!

In the meantime, take care of yourself! Please keep us informed.

Prayers heading your way!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 10-24-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Moose,
I hear ya. But, this kidney thing is something that has to be addressed. And since the prison will not, and cannot, (even if they were capable), it's a health issue that cannot be forgotten and allowed to be swept under the rug.

He's been to jail more than once. And I've let it be more than once too.

But, he's got to be in Boston next month. And yes, his life may actually depend upon it. So, I have to see it through.

And no, I'm not "awfullizing."
I've been there; done that before.
This is not that.
His life is at stake here. He almost died the last time.
If it happens in prison....

Dev,
Things were going very well for a while.
Life happens.
And people are responsible for their actions.
I just wish, for once, they would ALL be held responsible.
Know what I mean?

Like the cop who told him he would be arrested at my house, leaving him homeless just out of rehab when I was away?
Or the state who never has a bed available?
Or the people who make the rules that give him housing, medical, and job training, but,
He can't get any until he's in a house, that just is NEVER available! (IE, no medicine for his bipolar condition, until he's in the half way house. Dual diagnosed people NEED to be medicated, else the relapse rate is sky high!)

Why are *they* never held responsible?

(I've been dying to use this one! LOL!)

Anyway, I did write to Congressman Kennedy.
I look forward to his response.
And I'll let you know how it goes.

And I heard from Trevor again. He's taking it hard. But, he'll be ok, in the long run. :praying
Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

Shalom!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, I sure do know what you mean about everyone taking responsibility.

Same thing goes on here in this county. No funds, no jobs, no help of any kind. My son is having a terrible time getting work because first of all there are no jobs and secondly when there is they now have a better gene pool than before. They certainly don't want someone who is still on parole!

Oh, love this one, can't get off parole until he finishes his Anger management classes, but can't finish the classes because they cost $35.00 a week! Parole officer said unless he finishes the classes he cannot take him off parole Sounds like a catch 22 to me. It'll be one year on the 28th that he has been out.

Got a job immediately and I am sure he screwed that up in the first two days. Got another good job right after and screwed that one up too. This is a really small community where everyone knows everyone else, so word surely has gotten out, which doesn't help his cause!

County is broke!! State won't help! He needs meds but can't get them.

Good luck I sure hope you get a response from Kennedy!

Hugs & Prayers, Dev
Old 10-24-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

I hear ya, Dev!
And THANK you!!!
Cuz, you get it; you understand what I'm saying, and are not trying to make excuses for a broken system!

Needing the meds is a common denominator.
It's not an excuse.
It's a medical reality.

Tell a diabetic to go without insulin.
Tell a person with high cholosteral to go without their lipitor.
Tell a liver patient to go without their dialysis.
Now you may begin to understand why a person with bipolar cannot go without their medication -- even if they are a junkie too!
Maybe especially if they are?

Even if I wanted to pay for them, I couldn't.
It would cost about $500.00 a month for his meds alone, since he has no insurance.
My meds are enough for me to handle, and I only pay a co-pay!

And let's have a reality check here.
The state *does* know this.
That's what Obama's health care plan is all about.
Too many people going without necessary medical treatment because they cannot afford it.

And in the end, we *all* pay for it. Whether it's at the emergency room or the prison system. We pay. And we pay tooooo much. Because, it's much cheaper to have a system that actually works for people than to continue this charade that fills the pockets of the insurance companies and the lawyers who deny payments to those who have insurance, and of course, ignore those who have none for so many, many reasons. *We* pay for it because a humane society does not allow people to go without basic services. So, they go to the emergency room, that is the most expensive, and inefficient way to deal with common health issues.
Or they go to prison - over and over and over again.
But, we continue to pay....
And we pay much more than we should.
Much more than we have to in a humane world. :wtf2

Ok, I'm on my soap box again. Because once again, it's in my face as it has been over and over and over again. Something as simple as medication could be the factor; the determinator; in whether my son makes it or not.

But, we'll never know, will we?
Because the great state of RI won't try it, dispite the fact that the research is very very clear about this issue. Dual diagnosed people need to be treated concurrently. It's that simple. And Rhode Island will not do it.

But, I still remember when Trevor lied, and went to Mass, and was treated....and how well he did..... No one can take that memory away from me.... or the promise that it holds.

For now, though, it's a matter of his kidneys.
That is what I will keep a focus on. Because that is what is most important.

Shalom!

Last edited by historyteach; 10-24-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Amen to your post history!

I have a neighbor that tells me how wonderful they have it in prison. She said her friend told her that on "Pizza Night" they go to each cell and ask what he wants on his pizza. Is that the most hysterical thing you ever heard?

I remember when my son was in San Quentin in reception, and called to tell me he had some contagious skin disease (can't think of the name right now) it itches like crazy, anyway they couldn't get to him because only had a couple of nurses. He went like two weeks, until I finally placed a call to my "good friend" the warden to complain!!!

I don't know if it was my call or just a coincident but they got to him the next day.

My son helped some guy clean out a trailer and contacted this crazy rash. He was really sick and, of course, has no insurance so went to the emergency ward. In the end it cost over $2,000! He was there 3 times! How will he ever pay that?

He needs meds really bad for his ADD/Bipolar but, here again, no insurance!

It's not just there in Rhode Island, California is just as bad.

I really hope Obama's plan works, because something has to be done.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((((Teach)))))

I might tell a person on lipator to change their diet but I would not deny a person dialysis.

If the government could fix this problem of health care it would have already been fixed. I think insurance companies have driven up the cost of health care. Ask AIG to pay for our health care!!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I get real tired of paying for healthcare for people who refuse to take care of themselves... including my ex who is a diabetic crack addict. What's the point. It's just a big money suck. He doesn't pay crap for his son's healthcare - when he's in jail or even when he's out of jail. Why should he get it for free.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Teach))) Sending lots of prayers up for Trevor. You too!!!

Dual recovery tools (meds/therapy) is soooo important! I just don't get it, that the powers that be do NOT understand this. In the long-run it is costing our society so much more than it would cost to treat them from the beginning instead of thinking that jail will straighten them out

You may not know anyone in the media, but perhaps if you emailed enough of them, you may get some takers. Might be worth a try.

I'm praying that your letter to Kennedy will help get Trevor the medical help he deserves.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hope your son gets the meds he needs. I'm just disappointed that I end up paying for my ex's food subsidy, disability and healthcare with my taxes while my son has to go without.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((Teach))))

My prayers do go out for you and Trevor. I thought if the jail takes a prisoner that they are responsible for their medical care it is part of the deal right?

I think putting drug addicts in jail for non violent crimes is the bigger crime. What if you got put in jail because you had cancer or diabetes?

I think drugs being illegal is a crime...