View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
One Day at a Time.

For me this has to be the most crucial philosophy in maintaining my sobriety. I am feeling a little "strange" this week and old "twinges" of depression and strange, uneasy, all consuming thoughts and feelings of self-consciousness have been hitting me and I know that partly I used to drink/binge these feelings away as just for a small moment of time they went away and I could just not really feel anything but oblivion/buzzing/high. Only to resurface stronger than before and thus that horrible vicious cycle of depression/binging.

When i find myself starting to get overwhelmed about a future without alcohol/drugs I just remind myself to keep my thoughts in the Moment. It is so easy to start questioning my life and am i really doing the right thing, how did it ever get to this etcetc.

I am merely expressing my thoughts at the moment and am not looking to commit to the twelve steps of AA, with a sponsor or anything, as i feel I do not need to do that as I am doing OK and it just not "feel" right to me. These feeling of depression/self-consciousness would be there regardless of any twelve steps or not, I just dont drink them away anymore so will have to deal with them.

Increase the peace. Another night of xbox!!! gggrrrrhhhhh lol
Right there with you on all points. I'm not a 12 steper, but One Day at a Time is really a mantra I can identify with. I forget it frequently, those are the times I feel myself tempted, depressed, overwhelmed. Them I remember and it brings me some degree of "peace". I need to do a better job of remembering it in the first place, but at least I am to the point where before I get too down and desperate, I can remember those little words.

BTW, right there with you on the Xbox thing. Spent far too many "quality hours" with my machine, but if it helps keep me clean...so be it!! Play on!!! Take care.