Thread: Positivity...
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
jazzz

HEy Neo, I'm also a musician (keyboards and sing) and I'm also shy. I'm 29 and I got sober and started AA 2 months ago. It's been really great so far, although I did have a slip up just 2 weeks after my first AA meeting. Since then I've been doing really well and I'm in a much better place now than I've been in a long time, since I started drinking actually, which was when I was 14.

My shyness was definetely a big reason for my drinking, but already now I can feel it's getting much better and also my self confidence. I think my shyness had to do with not being honest with myself and others, and although I'm very new to the AA concept, I think the program has helped me being better at communicating with people and being more confident. I'm very excited about the programme and what else it might do for me in the future.

Anyway, I can relate to what you said about being a musician and booze being a part of the whole scene. I drank for several years and the "scene" was a great excuse for it too. But never think that it makes you a better musician or that you have to drink. You're so young and just think how great you'll be in a couple of years without booze! (and if you keep practicing and playing, of course ). And I'm sure you'll feel so much more expressive on the guitar if you keep being sober. Booze might be a good way to let loose, but in time it just makes you boring and sad, especially as an alcoholic.

One other thing, I always enjoy reading your posts! I normally don't pay much attention to the nick names, but when I read your posts I check the nickname cos I think they're so insightful and what you say makes a lot of sense! And now I see you're just 23 years of age!

Keep being sober, I know you're on the right path. And so am I!