Thread: Withdrawing
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
healingstill

Withdrawing

Hello. I joined this forum after doing a search for "how long does opiate withdrawal take?"

For many years I on-and-off took painkillers (vicodine, percocet, whatever someone had around) but never had withdrawals like I have been having from poppy pod tea. Maybe I was never really addicted before the tea.

Anyway, I was doing the tea nearly every day for two months, and recently stopped. This is my 5th day without it. Don't worry about me doing it again...no way. I had a new box delivered that I ordered briefly before I quit and I threw it away. Didn't even open the box. The garbage man comes this morning and I so look forward to getting that evil vegetation off my property.

I basically joined here for support. The first day without it, I felt tired and mildly depressed. The next day I felt nauseated, but I still drove out to see my boyfriend (he lives a couple hours away), thinking it would go away.

He knew I had tried the tea, but didn't know I was doing it every day. Well, I ended up telling him in the middle of the night. I felt nauseated, was very cold and occasionally shivery. I had liquid diarrhea. And I wasn't throwing up, but I gagged a little. There wasn't much inside to throw up because I hadn't eaten much.

Also, my head felt all unbalanced. I have been on Paxil for thirteen years for anxiety and depression, and Xanax "as needed" for anxiety for about nine years. Sometimes I didn't even have to take the Xanax for months, and just took a little bit to help me sleep.

So, my boyfriend drew me a warm bath, and suggested I wait it out. He did some research online, and said that it was good I didn't have some other symptoms, like delirium, vomiting, and spasms. I usually would have stayed at his place through the weekend, but I drove back home because I have cats to take care of, and I knew I'd be sick and no fun anyway.

So, I drove back Saturday morning, and it is now Monday morning. I haven't called my doctor and am hoping I won't have to. I think I am feeling a bit better now. Still some diarrhea, still a little chilly, but not shaking anymore. I am drinking lots of water to keep hydrated. Yesterday I ate a little bag of pretzels, and today have been working on some saltine crackers. My cats have food and water.

I've also been taking little bits of the Xanax to relieve some of the anxiety. I definitely don't want to overdo it on that either. And I don't think I have been.

I only have one good friend who lives in my town, and I didn't tell her about any of this. I did tell my best friend, who lives in another state, and of course my boyfriend. My parents are divorced and both live far away, and I don't talk to them a lot. I'd rather get through this without telling them.

Thankfully, I work from home and am not concerned with taking some time off to recover. I hope I feel better soon. I went for a couple little walks yesterday, and another one early this morning before napping. I have a trip booked for the end of this month, which I hope I won't have to cancel.

I didn't know what I was doing to myself with the tea. Life was just a little hard, and I wanted to feel better. Not worth it.

If anyone has words of support or advice, I welcome it. I am just planning on thinking positive thoughts, drinking lots of water, keeping warm, and resting a lot.