Notices

Withdrawing

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawing

Hello. I joined this forum after doing a search for "how long does opiate withdrawal take?"

For many years I on-and-off took painkillers (vicodine, percocet, whatever someone had around) but never had withdrawals like I have been having from poppy pod tea. Maybe I was never really addicted before the tea.

Anyway, I was doing the tea nearly every day for two months, and recently stopped. This is my 5th day without it. Don't worry about me doing it again...no way. I had a new box delivered that I ordered briefly before I quit and I threw it away. Didn't even open the box. The garbage man comes this morning and I so look forward to getting that evil vegetation off my property.

I basically joined here for support. The first day without it, I felt tired and mildly depressed. The next day I felt nauseated, but I still drove out to see my boyfriend (he lives a couple hours away), thinking it would go away.

He knew I had tried the tea, but didn't know I was doing it every day. Well, I ended up telling him in the middle of the night. I felt nauseated, was very cold and occasionally shivery. I had liquid diarrhea. And I wasn't throwing up, but I gagged a little. There wasn't much inside to throw up because I hadn't eaten much.

Also, my head felt all unbalanced. I have been on Paxil for thirteen years for anxiety and depression, and Xanax "as needed" for anxiety for about nine years. Sometimes I didn't even have to take the Xanax for months, and just took a little bit to help me sleep.

So, my boyfriend drew me a warm bath, and suggested I wait it out. He did some research online, and said that it was good I didn't have some other symptoms, like delirium, vomiting, and spasms. I usually would have stayed at his place through the weekend, but I drove back home because I have cats to take care of, and I knew I'd be sick and no fun anyway.

So, I drove back Saturday morning, and it is now Monday morning. I haven't called my doctor and am hoping I won't have to. I think I am feeling a bit better now. Still some diarrhea, still a little chilly, but not shaking anymore. I am drinking lots of water to keep hydrated. Yesterday I ate a little bag of pretzels, and today have been working on some saltine crackers. My cats have food and water.

I've also been taking little bits of the Xanax to relieve some of the anxiety. I definitely don't want to overdo it on that either. And I don't think I have been.

I only have one good friend who lives in my town, and I didn't tell her about any of this. I did tell my best friend, who lives in another state, and of course my boyfriend. My parents are divorced and both live far away, and I don't talk to them a lot. I'd rather get through this without telling them.

Thankfully, I work from home and am not concerned with taking some time off to recover. I hope I feel better soon. I went for a couple little walks yesterday, and another one early this morning before napping. I have a trip booked for the end of this month, which I hope I won't have to cancel.

I didn't know what I was doing to myself with the tea. Life was just a little hard, and I wanted to feel better. Not worth it.

If anyone has words of support or advice, I welcome it. I am just planning on thinking positive thoughts, drinking lots of water, keeping warm, and resting a lot.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I recommend talking to a doctor. Welcome to SR!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Okay, I took your advice and called my doctor. The receptionist asked me why I was calling for an appointment, and I said, "I am going through opiate withdrawal." She said that there weren't any openings for another week and a half, so she connected me with my physicians medical assistant, where I got the answering machine and left a message. I said that I didn't think this is a "life threatening emergency" (so I didn't hang up and dial 911), but that I am going through an opiate withdrawal and this is my 5th day without it. So, we'll see if she calls back and what happens. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-12-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome to SR, Healing.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Unfortunately, all too typical for portions of our medical system. Is there a community clinic you can visit? Keep the fluids going strong, especially if diarrhea continues. Try to get some electrolytes into your system as well. Try deep breathing exercises too, with a relaxed setting. I wish you well and over your suffering soon. Stay clean.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So, my doctor's assistant called me back, and asked who prescribed the opiates. I said they weren't prescribed. So, she talked to my doctor again and called me back again. She told me that he said I'd have to check into a rehab clinic.

I am going to wait at least another day. I think I can get over this myself.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Thank goodness for the Hippocratic oath and love of humanity.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome healingstill

I'm sorry for the runaround you're getting
If it were me, I'd try another doctor.

We also have a substance abuse forum here - feel free to check that out as well
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 10-12-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
Thank goodness for the Hippocratic oath and love of humanity.
I had to look that up. Yeah, and the really awesome thing was that the assistant said something like this:

"He says you'd have to check yourself into a rehab clinic. They're somewhere in the phone book."
Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fighting To Stay Clean!

Hi I just made a very similar post and found this site exactly the same way you did. If you are on you're fifth day, I believe you might have reached the peak of the withdrawal. No matter how much temptation you get to find a fix...DON'T DO IT! You've come this far and it'd be stupid to start all over again. Stay strong and know it'll only get better. As for me...it's going to get worse and i'm going to have to get over that hump just like you. It's also good you have moral support from your boyfriend. good luck!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Originally Posted by healingstill View Post
"He says you'd have to check yourself into a rehab clinic. They're somewhere in the phone book."
Wow...
Old 10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

My opiate withdraw took about 14 days. I started feeling better on the 14th day. I think I would report that doctor to be honest!

This might be a stupid question but what in the world is the tea you were taking? I am so clueless and haven't heard of this before. That sounds crazy.

Way to go on the sobriety!