View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
ANGELINA243
We Do Recover

Welcome sandy...GLad you are here. Also, congrats on 14 days! For me as far as finding a sponsor--I listened to what I heard some of the women share in meetings plus watched their behavior outside of the group setting as well....mostly to see if they walked the walk---not just talk the talk in the rooms--kinda deal. Also, I wanted to be sure and pick a sponsor that wasn't a gossiper. I unfortunately have picked sponsors before that weren't closed mouthed and told others personal info that I had confided in them. The main thing is to pick someone who has a good solid recovery program...someone you feel you can trust and be honest with. Most people in the rooms are genuinely sincere and willing to help----but remember: we are all sick people and no one is perfect. Some (even in recovery) are sicker than others. Just listen to what others share and when you think you have found someone--just walk up and ask them. You can always change sponsors later if you feel it isn't working out. I don't know if I believe in the term "temporary sponsor" anymore...because for me that equals "temporary sobriety" and leaves me with a reservation about working my program. Just know if you do ask someone and later feel it isn't working out--you can always ask another person to sponsor you. A sponsor is simply someone to help guide you through the Steps---someone that preferably has a sponsor and still talks to them and has also worked through the Steps themselves.