View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
NewMe11109
The New Me starting 1/11/09

I know that this is a very painful (emotionally, financially, etc.), but if you can be in a relationship with someone who is NOT an addict, you can build on this. Being in a relationship with an addict really only goes in one direction, down.

I dated an alcoholic for 2 years and was co-dependent for sure. (I myself am a recovering alcoholic.) But now, I am married to a normy (non-alcoholic) and wow, what a difference it makes. Her strength helped me recover, but it wasn't that she let me get away with crap. She set very strong limits that I knew - if I crossed - I would be out. Tough love for sure, but this was so helpful. (My point is that so often people set very soft limits and have low expectations for the alcoholic - and I believe that this actually allows the alcoholic to continue).

I am sorry if you take this next point the wrong way, but when you look back 10 years from now, he may have done you a huge favor by pushing away.

Read the posts in the family sections, learn more about Al Anon, etc. -- and then decide, "why do you want to subject yourself to all that pain (of being with an addict) when you have a difficult yet natural life inflection point that can take you in a direction that will avoid this?"

I know, easier said than done. But, I wish people had been really blunt with me when I was in the situation dating the alcoholic, so please accept my apology if I am over-stepping my bounds.

Stay strong.