Thread: The holidays
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
outtolunch

[QUOTE=cessy68;2394011]
Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post

I then get filled with rage, saddness, bitterness, anger, --- because the 'holidays' are never the funfilled-romantic-loving-memory lane holiday that I hoped for.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Red, not hijacking your thread, but perhaps some of the more-equipped members can answer this for me/you, to give us some copeing tools.....

love,Cess
I don't know if I am more equipped than you or anyone, but here's my 2 cents.

The majority of the people in the world, do not celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas.

They are not bombarded, since birth, with parades, movies, TV shows, made for TV movies, advertizing and so on. They don't know that bows on the tree are out of style and feathers or whatever, are in.

They don't know that they are supposed to go into debt, gifting other people, including strangers, less fortunate than they are.

They don't know that their children are supposed to believe in some magical figurhead who gifts them with whatever their heart desires. Their children do not write " give me" lists to the figurehead. They don't know that they are supposed to be sorta pissy if someone regifts or returns their present.

They don't know that if there are not endless parties and celebrations, that they are supposed to feel bad cause they are missing out, on something.

They don't know that they are supposed to bake endless cookies, fruit cakes ( who the hell-o eats fruit cake?) and other "seasonal" treats. They know nothing about longing for a white Christmas, let alone someone's grandma got run over by a reindeer.

They don't know that if it all does not come together, the way it is portrayed by the media, they are missing out on something and that many become depressed or worse.

They have no expectations.

I found myself in a position where, due to circumstances, I realized that the magic of the holidays was a childish fantasy incapable of being sustained and it has a heck of a lot more to do with $$$, than anything else.

I stopped believing in Santa Claus that day and began to take responsibility for my own feelings rather than letting the holiday machine dictate what I should be doing and feeling.

I am not a bah-humbuger, really I am not. I love decorating/cooking for the holidays. I love driving around and seeing all the lights. But by golly, I am not living a Currier and Ives fantasy, here. I have no expectations about how other should behave over the holidays.