Thread: The holidays
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great timing because the Canadian Thanksgiving is this coming weekend, so the holidays are starting now.

I know how painful holidays can be, it was a couple of years after my son went missing before I decided to stop being sad and start making new traditions and new memories and living in the joy and gratitude of the season. Something that helped me was to volunteer during the holidays. I was the world's oldest elf at a Women's Shelter Christmas party a few years back, I try to help the Salvation Army deliver Christmas boxes to families who need them, and I buy little gifts for people I know who are alone and maybe lonely, like seniors or shut-ins. Believe me, the gift is in the giving, because I can't tell you how my heart is warmed by their smiles.

Just yesterday I booked a Florida vacation over Christmas and New Years for Mr. Ann and me and I am truly looking forward to warmth and sunshine instead of the Canadian White Christmas we usually celebrate. We've come a long way baby, and it's good to be back in the spirit.

Hugs