View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
wuzzled

Originally Posted by worthyoflove View Post
My daughter is taking music lessons and the teacher is in NA. I know because he had a NA book in his bathroom.

I explained to her that he is very sick and people don't say things like that to others unless they are sick.

I'm not sure if I am doing the right thing by allowing another chance.
Sorry you are feeling upset by this. It can be difficult when someone else treats our child in a way we believe is wrong, but i think it is important to remember, that our children must live in the "real world", and they are not always going to be handled with kid gloves.

You said you "know" he is in NA because he has an NA book in his bathroom. I don't know that this confirms anything, you are really just assuming this to be true. Perhaps he just likes to read the book, or maybe he has a family member dealing with addiction, and he is educating himself. I can judge no one for what they choose to do or read.

telling your daughter that he is a very sick person because a only a sick person would never say that is IMO, kinda of telling her that when someone says something you don't like, or you think is mean, well that just means they are sick. Now you daughter will look at her music teacher and think he's just a sick person, and may not have the same respect for him as she did. I am not sure that his one statement is enough to justify calling him "sick". I know I have told my daughter that I don't feel sorry for her if she's tired, she needs to go to bed on time. I understand about your daughters period, but she will have to deal with that for many years to come, and needs to know that it is not an excuse to not participate.

As for allowing him another chance, I'm not sure you've given him a first chance because IMO, you are assuming something that may not even be a truth based on seeing a "book" in a bathroom.

but then who am i to judge . . . . . . .