Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kirbe

My husband's an alcoholic and I need support

Hi. I'm a newcomer and need support. Have read some posts and find them comforting. My husband is spiraling down and I am and have been worried sick. He's drinking four 1.75 "handles" of straight vodka a week. The majority on weekends, but he pours a glass at 5:30 AM on the way to work and the minute he gets home. His hands shake like crazy until he's had a few. He failed a life insurance exam last year and his doctor warned him and he has just gotten worse. He does hold down a good job, but he could get laid off at anytime and he really would drink more (if that's even possible) cuz he'd wouldn't have to be accountable at work. I'm at my wits end. He's not mean or violent, but I can't stand to be around him. He's needy, insecure and so opinionated when drunk which is all the time. My girls are 12 and 14 and I don't know what to tell them. They know I'm worried all the time, but they think I'm just an unhappy depressed mom. For the most part that's true, but they don't know the depth of his alcoholism. I lost my dad one year ago to this and it made my hypersensitive to my hubs drinking habits. I wish he only had a few at night, but I am convinced he's killing himself and I know he's in denial. Ughh...I know someone out there can relate. Please help, Kirbe.