Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
miss communicat

until i'd lived on both coasts for some time, and attended AA consistently in all regions: New York City, LA, New England, Northern California small town, and Seattle I'd never dreamed of AA possibly being significantly different based upon local flavour.

How surprised i was to discover then that, for example in Northern CA, ideologies similar to this prevailed: that all one needed of the 12 Steps were Steps 1 + 11 (because they add up to 12).

Or the permissiveness in Seattle that encouraged members to rewrite the Steps and Traditions as they preferred. ( sorry Jim for taking such a dim view of Seattle AA. I know you are now in Everett, but I believe you came up in seattle)
Then there's always the Freethinkers AA in New York....a veritable pissing contest of intellects, if you ask me.

My point is that, sure. There are geographical, regional flavours that affect AA wherever you go.

In the UK, we served tea rather than the burnt tire brand of coffee (lol)so favoured in most American rooms.

And, that some of these differences are dispersive and diluting to the Primary Purpose of AA. But....its to be expected. We are not all that well coming in and some meetings remain very unrecovered.

What works for me is to keep it simple, stick to THE program and share THAT. And laugh alot about those things I cannot control nor change.