View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DonneIslanding

Originally Posted by chrisinaustin View Post
Hey Done -- Welcome. As Aysha said, there are different ways if approaching the problem. I tried quite a few, in the end it was AA that much to my surprise (in light of how long I avoided it) worked and continues to work -- for me. One thing to keep in mind that there is nothing inherently "non-secular" about it -- there are as many atheists and business travelers working it as there are Christians and homebodies. It allowed me to not just quit drinking, but to reconnect to life in a way I never had before (so "connect", I guess) which is really all spirituality is in the end, and why, yes -- it is a spiritual program.

Chris
I appreciate your suggestion and insight. A big reason why I am apprehensive to attend AA is due to the location issue.

I often find myself struggling to communicate verbally with the locals in my new area. I also have not made many new friends (secular or otherwise) period; everyone appears to be very devout towards their particular faith and I haven't met many fellow skeptics.

It may very well be that AA is ultimately the way, but I thought it was important for me to first admit that I have a problem and connect to a 24/7 support system. I'd rather spend my nights typing rambling posts about ways to defend my sobriety than sitting around with a bottle.