Thread: Honesty
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Aysha
Looking For Myself...Sober

Thx Ang. Thats kinda what I am looking for in this thread. Like what are reason some may do it.
Thx to the others too. I like to hear the reasoning for not doing it too. Its always good to hear all angles of anything IMO.
I have seen people do it for various reasons.
Some just for no reason at all and be ok with it. I am not judging them. Thats on their own conscience. It doesn't affect me either way. I agree with Carol. Honesty is crucial for me and my recovery.
I wouldn't be hurting anyone but myself.
And yes, It would feel very wrong. Not because of what anyone else thought. But because I would know the truth and it would be just fooling myself.
In some cases some people may lie to family because they don't want them to know they have been using. Or maybe to a dr or courts for any kind of reason. Maybe to get out of trouble or to gain something.
I am sure the reasons are endless.
I am not trying to make this topic sound pointless. It does kinda seem that way.
But I just thought of it the other night when I was posting in the chat meeting thread about my SR goal being to host a meeting. But I needed 6 mos first. It just made me think of so many times I could have gained something some way or another and saved myself some set backs had I lied.
But I just can't bring myself to do it.
I have been postponed for my procedure so many times. And going on almost 2 yrs now since I began the process because I kept relapsing.
I could have easily said I wasn't an addict from the beginning. I could have withheld a whole mess of info and could have had the procedure done a few months after my initial attempt at it. But I have to be honest about this. I have lied about so much in my active addiction. I can't lie about this. Or anything for that matter. With my recovery I have found that integrity I use to have before I became a souless monster.
And it doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks or doesn't think.
At the end of the day. I have to live with it and answer to myself. I can't hide or run from myself.
So I am just curious that some people may do it to get past some hurdles in life. Where a shorter clean time may prevent them from doing certain things.