View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Kirsty, early recovery is a bear, I felt much the same way you do right now in early recovery here are some of the things I did in early recovery which helped me a lot along with some questions:

1. I went to meetings early and helped set up and stayed late and help take down, this let me make friends a lot quicker, have you tried this?

2. I went to at least one meeting a day every day for over 3 months, are you doing this?

3. I got a temporary sponsor right away, do you have a sponsor?

All 3 of the above will lead to people to talk to about early sobriety.

4. I got phone numbers of people in the rooms and called at least 3 people counting my sponsor every day, have you tried this? It would give you a chance to talk to folks one on one about early sobriety.

5. I prayed every morning and every night even though I felt it was a waste of time, funny thing but it seemed to help and I had no idea why? Are you praying?

6. I started to take the steps with my sponsor, are you taking the steps?

Kirsty if you are not going to beginners meetings you really should, when they ask for a topic in a meeting why not just bring up that you are struggling and you would like to hear what it was like for others in early sobriety and how they dealt with it.

It is far from easy, I have been there, I had to force myself to follow suggestions and to ask for help. It was very hard at first to call people, but once I got started calling people it made a huge difference.

I recall the fear, the anger, and the resentments I felt in early sobrity, the above is what I did to deal with it, I followed suggestions because none of the above was my idea at all, it was suggestions made by the folks in detox and my temporary sponsor.