View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
miamifella

Part of the reason I feel more comfortable in AA even though I had no real problem with alcohol is that the people there are old farts.

I went to another fellowship tonight. My first meeting in a long time and it was just as depressing as I remembered. They people there were very troubled and really on the edge of survival. If I go to AA I feel sad because they all talk about bars and drinking which were things I always disliked and in the other fellowships I feel sad because the people there tend to be marginal folk just trying to put their lives together.

When I first got out of rehab the place I was had some really good meetings that were not listed anywhere. You had to know someone to find out about them. The people there were not as close to the edge. Some were business owners, doctors, etc. But now I live in Miami and do not know any of the "off-list" meetings. I am sure there must be some.

As it is, I am far from well off, but I am a professional with a lease, a car and a job. That make me better off than most of the people at meetings. But maybe that is why I feel so not part of their world.