View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
racerAK

Hi all! This is day one of sobriety for me - a little about myself by way of introduction: I'm 28, a business owner, total gearhead and F1/racing fanatic. I got arrested for a DUI (my first and last, God willing) in June. At first I was angry - I had felt 'fine', had drank 4 beers over 4 hours, so "safe" drinking, but for a woman my size that was too many.

So why am I here? I attended my DUI class yesterday and it was, contrary to my assumption walking in, extremely helpful and informative. I realized yesterday (day 2) when we were going over the signs and stages of alcohol abuse that I demonstrate more than a few of the major warning signs & it freaked me out. Considering my extensive family history of severe alcoholism I feel that it is best to quit drinking entirely.

I do not feel the compulsion to drink EXCEPT when I am in social situations. When I am there though, I often find that I cannot have just one drink. I go in planning on having one but then more often than not end up drunk beyond belief. The blackouts have been more frequent and frankly that scares the ever-living daylights out of me.

I do not drink when I am at home - maybe one, every once in awhile, but I have never gotten drunk at home, never drink alone, and NEVER drink when I am depressed. These are pluses but nevertheless I feel that if I keep drinking at all it will undermine my ability and desire to stay sober in social situations.

In light of the situational nature of my drinking problems, I have publicly announced to my friends that I have quit drinking and am committed to this for at least a year. Most of them have been supportive (in fact they've suggested it before but I ignored it cause I felt bad) but some have not. I have my DUI class evaluation on the 1st, and I am going to ask that they refer me to treatment.

I also think it might be worth my while to attend a few beginner's AA meetings to get the support I'll need from others committed to sobriety.

Reading your posts today have been so helpful and I'm so proud of you all for your commitment!