View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Originally Posted by BBD View Post
But I will try to not blame ME for this...but its hard!!
I know this much about you and everyone on this board to say that if they felt they would bring addiction on to their child, they wouldn't have one. They wouldn't even take the risk. After knowing what I know about addiction, fuggetta bout it! LOL.

I know Bonnie that you will be able to let all of this go and let your son accept full responsibility for his addiction. He is already making the steps and thinking about long term goals in accomplishing his recovery.

All you can do is go with the time (which takes it's own time).

That's the whole frustrating part of this whole recovery thing... waiting and waiting and waiting. All I can offer you is during this time to work on yourself and to not worry about what he chooses to do. Enjoy the moment of him being in treatment and take that moment to make your everyday a good day.

I hope that made sense.

A good book for you to read, I think I may have suggested this already, is "Reclaim Your Family from Addiction" by Craig Nakken. It's an awesome book for the entire family to read, including your son. When he is ready to work seriously on his recovery, this book will help him put into perspective what his addiction has done to the family and he will work to make the appropriate amends, without you having to worry about him doing so.

I can say this as I experience recovery with my BF, is that his actions are speaking louder than his words. It is showing. I can't even imagine having a child suffer with addiction but I can understand the hope and wishes for an addict to return to their old self, especially, when their old self isn't even in comparison to their using self.

Time is all you have.... all you would want for him to recover and all you have in your corner to heal. Be comfortable with the time it will take with him to recover. I had to get comfortable that it would take my BF a full year to repair the damage and rebuild himself back to where he was prior to relapse (working, on his own, in his own apartment, etc., etc.) and then from there, it's more time, more time to keep working on his recovery.

So, to wrap up my entire post is.... to give it time.

BIG HUGS