View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
miamifella

That is a lot of contact Tricky. Back when I started I used to speak to my sponsors once a week. (There was one who asked me to leave a message on his vm everyday.) After a while in each case there might be a week or two where I could not reach him or did not call. None of them ever called to ask about that and so I figured they were not into speaking to me. Truthfully, I never really understood what we were supposed to be doing anyway or why this mattered.

One I dropped because I did not know that "clubhouse" was a term for 12-step meeting place. He boasted about starting a clubhouse when he lived in Atlanta and I thought he was boasting about having started a sex club.

The fella who will be my sponsor if I ever make it to Step 4 (which I doubt will happen because I have not been able to get Step 2 after many years) is probably the first one who has been upfront with me. He told me that a sponsor is there to work the steps that you can work--that is Step 4 on to 12. I email him once a month or so to check in.

Vegibeen-- At this point I have two weeks. I usually do not go more than a few months without using anymore, so I am no one's idea of a sponsor.

McGowdog--There are some problems with you sponsoring me: I do not believe in god. I did until rehab, but once I started meeting other addicts I stopped thinking that a beneficent god could exist. Also, I think it would be hard for me to work with someone who is only in AA, which it sounds like you are. I only drink after getting high--when I want to come down. It is part of another addiction. I am glad to listen to you (like I listen at AA meetings), but it might be hard for me to speak to you.