Thread: the past
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
takincareome

Oh, and PS, just because we were talking about it:

My parents TOOK me to a counselor when I was, oh, maybe 12 or 13. But it certainly wasn't anything THEY did. It was SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME that they couldn't figure out. I mean, they really thought something was wrong. I had been acting out because I was the only one in the family who recognized there was something wrong. Everyone else was in deep denial. So while it's a good thing I was able to get some therapy early, it was kind of screwy the way it came about.

03fifteen, I think you're doing well for yourself. You know something is wrong and you're exploring the resources available to you, even if you are facing limitations.

One thing you COULD try -- and I don't know your family, obviously, or know how well it would go over -- is to tell them you'd like to see a counselor because of some difficulties YOU are having. Don't make it about them at all. Just, you know, schoolwork, friends, I've just been feeling sort of down lately and I thought maybe this might help. I have no idea how they'd take it, but it's something to think about. Meanwhile, you know we're always here. Your school counselor might be able to help too. And Dothi is right: This is about YOU, it's YOUR business and under no circumstances are you required to share this with your family.
Hugs hugs hugs.