Thread: the past
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dothi

Originally Posted by TheGirlInside View Post
her response was, "What did you say about me?" and made all sorts of accusations that I blamed her for everything that was wrong in my life (it's always all about her!)
Wow, sounds like you hit quite the nerve - tapped some well-denied reality, you think?

Originally Posted by TheGirlInside View Post
I think it is common (from my experience) for parents to "open up" to you about their marital problems, which is ABUSE, then not seem concerned or tell you you're being overly sensitive or you need to cowboy up, etc. when you explain your problems.
I once was on the phone with my mother, discussing something about my husband that I didn't like (guess we all do that from time to time), and she replied, "Well, at least YOUR husband doesn't..." listing my father's faults. I finally said to her, "If you refuse to do anythign to change your situation, you have no right to complain about it." She, of course, hung up. I again said something cruel and hateful to her.
You were NOT CRUEL here. You were setting a boundary, and she responded by heaping back guilt. How dare you have your own needs, right? - including the need for relief from listening to uncomfortable, unsettling b*tching about your own father.

Don't they say when parents divorce, that one thing they can do for their kids is not complain about the other parent? Why doesn't this rule apply in "functional" marriages too?

I've had this relationship in similar forms with both of my parents - mainly with my AF. What you said to your mom my sister and I have practiced the line almost verbatim to our own mother. However I have never said this to my AF, because I know he would know just what to do to make me feel guilty. These people have an amazing capacity to not acknowledge your pain or discomfort. That doesn't mean these feelings aren't there.