View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Renee B

Great job dealing with that difficult situation Purple!

I am happy to report that I also faced my social scene tonight and remained sober! Whew! Seriously, I was so close to giving in. Thank you all for your support. Dee, your post was particularily helpful, especially: "If some part of you does want to drink, well thats a different matter - read some of your old posts maybe and remember what you're doing this for??" It was a good reminder there is a reason I am staying sober!

It wasn't easy though, and truthfully one of my friends pissed me off big time. She was giving me so much grief for not drinking...."Seriously Renee, you're not gonna drink?" "What's wrong with you? Are you pregnant or what?" "Just have one!" I felt so uncomfortable and embarassed because the spotlight was on me, and they were all waiting for a good enough reason as to why I wasn't having a drink. I said the diet thing, but of course they all say "I'm on a diet too, but tonight I'm gonna drink anyway." and "You go running all the time, you can burn off the calories tomorrow." Later when she was quite drunk, she pulled me aside to drill me more about not drinking and I was honest with her that I just didn't want to drink "for a while" because I can't control it and I don't like how it makes me feel the next day, etc. She surprisingly accepted it and was all sappy and drunk...it's too bad I had to wait for her to be drunk to get through to her, but I can't judge her because I used to be her....less than two weeks ago.

Anyway, I had sober fun, we danced, took goofy pictures, laughed, played a game (anyone ever play Snorta?") and I drank 3 diet pepsi's and am pretty sure they're going to keep me up much of the night. I know I will wake up feeling good tomorrow, and they will be hungover! I'm truly so proud of myself!!

Sorry for the long post! Have a good one Class of September!

Still sober,
Renee