Thread: the past
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TheGirlInside
In Recovery

Originally Posted by 03fifteen View Post
I've, for a long time, felt that since my situation isn't as bad as most other people's situation, maybe i dont have a problem. Maybe its just in my head. I dont feel justified for having these feelings and such. I felt that when i was depressed. like, i shouldn't be depressed because there is no reason for me to feel this way. Maybe its denial.
Wow, I really see myself in your quote. "It's not that bad...it's not like I'm getting beaten every day like some people, what do I have to complain about? Other people have it worse..." and so on and so forth. One of my breakthroughs came when I realized that even thought the actions may be different, the RESULTS are the same...there is damage to the psyche and intellect and ability to cope, no matter the degree.

The therapy...not worth mentioning. When I once dared open up to my mother (why she has always been able to con me into believing she cares, I don't know), her response was, "What did you say about me?" and made all sorts of accusations that I blamed her for everything that was wrong in my life (it's always all about her!).

I think it is common (from my experience) for parents to "open up" to you about their marital problems, which is ABUSE, then not seem concerned or tell you you're being overly sensitive or you need to cowboy up, etc. when you explain your problems.
I once was on the phone with my mother, discussing something about my husband that I didn't like (guess we all do that from time to time), and she replied, "Well, at least YOUR husband doesn't..." listing my father's faults. I finally said to her, "If you refuse to do anythign to change your situation, you have no right to complain about it." She, of course, hung up. I again said something cruel and hateful to her.

There comes a point when you realize you cannot trust certain people, relatives or not. It took me a lot to learn it, but I got it good and firm through my head now, finally.