Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chino

Originally Posted by IPT View Post
I do think at the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things, though the pain breaking thru may hit intensities higher than you are used to; once you get through it your overall level of pain will be significantly reduced!
My favorite analogy is ocean waves pounding the beach. If you've been to the ocean, do you remember the first time trying to walk or swim past them to reach calm water? They knocked me down so hard I did cartwheels.

My kids were young then, and I made them wear life jackets. They couldn't get past the waves either but watched how others did, while I sat freaked out on the sand watching them. Eventually they took off the life jackets because they couldn't get past the waves with them on, and then I really freaked out!

But they were fine. They both took a deep breath and went under the waves, coming up the other side. Just like that, they were in calm water.

I got up and walked to where the waves were breaking, then followed their example. It was so fast and easy, I just needed the know-how and courage. Couldn't believe I had been so afraid! Later I had a dream about it -- never turn your back on the waves or they'll take you down.