Thread: Facebook
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mrak
Is it hot here or am I crazy?

Hi NEOMARXIST,

I agree that Facebook may not be the place you want to share all of your private information. Your concerns about fellow employees seeing this is logical. Sadly, some of those "colleagues" may try to use this information to undermine you - and no I am not a paranoid - some people just aren't nice in the corporate world.

All too often in my life I had failed to properly use the “EDIT” function in my brain’s software. I would say something sarcastic, vehemently voice my opinion or share too many private details - simply put, I talked too much. Some things (experiences, opinions, comments) are better left unsaid. Sometimes too much information or disclosure won’t do anybody any good. An old saying goes; “A burden shared is a burden lightened.” This could also be stated as; “I just downloaded all my crap on you - I feel great now.”

Disclosing too many details of your past on Facebook may not help you at your current job. Spare your new friends and new co-workers all the sordid details of your drinking past. There is a proper time and place for you to talk about your alcohol issue - like here on SR. There are also select and appropriate people to do this with. Everyone doesn’t need to know everything. You don’t need to talk about all the crazy things you have done, all the things you ruined, all the wreckage, all the mistakes you have made or all the struggles of sobriety (especially on Facebook).

There is nothing wrong with you wanting to keep your goal of sobriety as your focus and being proud of what you have done for yourself. But remember that your brain’s software does come with an “edit” function.

Just my thoughts on this subject.

I wish you the greatest of success in your new position and with your continued sobriety.