Thread: Facebook
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Wow difficult one!

Ok ill put it like this, i have a facebook account and you can set it so only friends can view your information. If you have been sharing about you being an alcoholic you have to remember that a lot of people, like we all did to some extent, is to think of the bum on the park bench which we know is crap...but others won't know different until they get to know you as a person.

If i was interested in posting about my recovery and maybe even keeping a journal i would go to wordpress and set up a free blog with something like 'a young alcoholic' as the heading and then let your friends know that you have a blog, once you settle into your job you may want to let other people know or not!

Facebook is really for the light stuff IMO.

Oh and ffs dont start posting comments about your colleagues etc on facebook, i know of several people who have lost their jobs through this and one who ended up going to prison because the idiot posted all about what he had done on facebook lol

This doesn't mean that you are shying away from your disease nor should you feel ashamed of it, but for the sake of making your life as easy as possible at the moment use some discretion. When you get all famous and all that you can come out then officially;-)