Thread: Facebook
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Facebook

Hi, I only set up a facebook account since I have gotten sober (8 weeks in 1hour 18 mins haha) and the sole message of my facebook page is that of my sobriety pretty much, not entirely obviously but it is a part of it and for anyone viewing it is obvious that sobriety is now a massive part of my life and thus it is pretty obvious that I have struggled with addiciton in the past ie- I am an alcoholic. This is the way I wanted it to be as I have wanted to really reinvent myself as someone who is now sober and also so that past friends/acqaintances etc now know what the score is with me in regards to meeting up for drinks at bars/party's etc and also it was a real good way to keep sobriety focussed as a part of my identity and to also make sure that I am constantly "Ratting myself out" to others etc.

However I have started new employment this week and thus now have that to bear in mind and obviously people who work there and also people who will be my team leaders/managers etc will all ask to add me on facebook of which obviously there ain't really a problem with that as it's a good way to start building social life up etc. However I am dubious as to whether I wan't them to be reading my facebook page and then it becoming apparent to them that I may have suffered prior to working there with alcohol etcetc. I am worried they may judge me somewhat and also spread it around to higher management etc and I may be penalised/prejudiced as a result.

I was just wondering what you guys reckon? Is it best for me to totally erase any mention of my sobriety on my facebook page to keep things simple? I liked the way that I could use facebook to let people know from the off that I don't drink anymore but I don't want to unnecessarily ruffle any feathers in my new job as afterall, this is the corporate world and I know how news travels in these places...

Your thoughts will be very much appreciated...