Thread: Why not?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sfgirl

Originally Posted by jade09 View Post
I DO NOT AGREE...but how can I stop these thoughts?
You might not be able to stop them. The best you can do sometimes is recognize them as crazy and ignore them to the best of your ability. I do not reason with them because I deign them as crazy. If I find myself indulging these thoughts, like saying back to them, oh, it would be ok to drink, you weren't that bad, maybe you weren't a real alcoholic, I just say to myself, NOT A REAL THOUGHT, IGNORE, and I wait. I just kind of watch them like they are a little crazy fantastical child throwing a tantrum in my mind that will go away after a while. And they do go away after a while. It is like waiting out a storm. For me I have had it last an hour to as long as two weeks.

I don't know if that is the best way to deal but it is what I do. And unfortunately I had to do it this weekend at 11 months sober, after about 5 months of no cravings or crazy thoughts whatsoever. I found myself waiting out cravings this weekend. Yep, addiction is crazy and can come out of the woodwork at crazy times.

A thing you might want to check out is urge surfing (basically dealing with urges using mindfulness), I think what I do is a version of it, and other people can probably explain it much better than me:

Mindfulness

If that website is unhelpful you can always put it into google. Good Luck. It really does get way easier.