View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sandrawg

This is off-topic but I'm looking for a job, too. It's tough out there right now, isn't it? I got laid off 2 weeks ago.

Oddly enough, I don't feel depressed about it. I've actually felt pretty happy the last couple of weeks. A friend of mine suggested I try to get into modeling. I had a photog take some shots, set up a profile on a couple websites, and I've gotten inquiries about work! This is something I never thought I could do or should do, and it's become a whole new world of opportunity.

They say that when one door closes, another opens, but I think we're actually the ones that end up having to PUSH it open!

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
Step One is really about being powerless, not just powerless over alcohol but being powerless over persons, places and things. When I first studied the concept, I found it to be a bit depressing.... if I am powerless over just about everything, then what's the point? Why not just stay in bed all day?

My sponsor taught me that there is a huge difference between being powerless and being helpless. I can read, meditate, talk to a recovery friend and I can take an action. I've learned to let go of most expectations, to not try to control the outcomes and just do the next right thing.

I've been looking for a job for awhile now. It's frustrating for many reasons, and in the past I'd probably be in quite a funk about it. Using what I've learned in recovery, I can suit up and show up, have an interview, send a thank you note and be OK with whatever happens next. I can tweak my resume, I can go to some seminars etc. I might be powerless over whether or not I get a particular job, but I'm not helpless.