View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
leelee5675

I don't know much about halfway houses. My daughter was planning on living in one after rehab, but couldn't find one that wasn't full within 150 miles of our hometown. Tells you something about the epidemic of addiction, doesn't it? So you are not alone. My daughter wound up renting a room from NA members, and lives next door to her NA sponsor, so I don't worry too much.

There is one thing I would like to share with you, though, that I was totally unprepared for and you may not be either if this is your first time dealing with addiction.

If you do bring your wife to your house, please be aware that her thought processes will not be back to normal for quite some time. Just because the drug is out of her system physically doesn't mean her mind has healed. There is no way she can explain to you what she has been through and is still going through as she tries to heal.

At a halfway house, (if she gets a good one as stated by another poster), she will be surrounded by people who have the same disease and have had the same or very similar experiences, which will help her readjust to the "real world". She will also make some valuable friendships there that will help her in maintaining her sobriety.

Of course, there are positives about her coming home, too. If there are children involved it may be better for her to be home. Just weigh your pros and cons and I'm sure the two of you will make the right decision.

Check out the local resources available to you. She would attend meetings while staying at a halfway house, but those are available anyway. She would have to be self-motivated in attending from home as opposed to required when living in a halfway house. Some houses provide individual counseling as part of their services, but there could be a local organization that you could get those from.

Prayers are going out for you and keep us updated. The people here care and there's tons of wisdom here, too.