View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

Step One is really about being powerless, not just powerless over alcohol but being powerless over persons, places and things. When I first studied the concept, I found it to be a bit depressing.... if I am powerless over just about everything, then what's the point? Why not just stay in bed all day?

My sponsor taught me that there is a huge difference between being powerless and being helpless. I can read, meditate, talk to a recovery friend and I can take an action. I've learned to let go of most expectations, to not try to control the outcomes and just do the next right thing.

I've been looking for a job for awhile now. It's frustrating for many reasons, and in the past I'd probably be in quite a funk about it. Using what I've learned in recovery, I can suit up and show up, have an interview, send a thank you note and be OK with whatever happens next. I can tweak my resume, I can go to some seminars etc. I might be powerless over whether or not I get a particular job, but I'm not helpless.