Thread: What am I?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
killingmesmalls

Most people that go into addiction counseling were addicts themselves at one point, or their lives were impacted by an addict. I don't know if I would be comfortable talking to a professional who hadn't been there. It gives you some street credit I think.

Being that you were confined in your house for years because of your medical condition, it is no wonder that your old life looks like an appealing alternative now that you have the opportunity to get out. Honestly it sounds like prison (not that I have ever been there) but a lot of inmates that get released go right back to the life they knew on the outside which eventually leads them back to jail/prison. It's easy to go back to what you knew, and it can seem hard to try something new.

There is so much in life to experience, I myself feel like I have wasted so many years. So now I am in recovery and trying to quit drinking. But I don't want it to just be about what I quit, I need it to be about what I now want to start. What I haven't had the patience or guts to do before. Here's my partial list -

Learn After Effects
Create a piece of art that is more than just a pretty picture
Serve a 10 course meal that is actually good
Grow my own food
Raise a dog
Watch my daughter get her first belt in jujitsu
Make a mocumentary
Get all my old friends who are scattered together for one weekend
Make love to my husband in a public place
Go camping in YellowStone
Get over my fear of seaweed
Get over my insecurities
Not drink for 30 days
I hope to scratch this last one off the list first and replace it with 60, 90 and on and on