What am I?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What am I?

Hi!

I was wondering if someone can tell me what I am in terms of recovery/sobriety?

I did drugs and drank heavily for 13 years. I was a hot mess. Then in 2005 I get sick with a medical condition and I am forced to lay in bed and cold turkey everything. Because I was so sick, I was not allowed to leave my bed..or my house...and my doctors would not let me drink! So I stopped going to bars, ditched my addict friends, and got a degree in counseling to be an addictions counselor. And I was so proud of myself for being sober.

But here is 4 years later, and I am starting to feel a lot better and I think my doctors will let me drink again. And this may sound pathetic- but I'm questioning why I am sober. I got sick at the age of 25 and I was forced to stop using. I did not choose to stop. And I never went to rehab, counseling or any 12 step programs.

So Have I really been sober for 4 years? Or was this just situational recovery? Or abstinence? Or am I a dry drunk? I keep telling people I will be sober 4 years on labor day...but have I really?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

If you didn't drink you've been sober for 4 years.

No matter how it happened that's quite an accomplishment. Congratulations!

You can choose to stay sober.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks and thanks for the info!!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by flipfloplover View Post
I was a hot mess.
Are you a hot mess without alcohol and drugs? Do you treat others with respect? Are you open, honest and forthright with your feelings? Are you accepting of others feelings?

If you answered no to being a hot mess and yes to the other questions, imho, you are not a dry drunk.

If you obtained a degree in counseling and work in addiction's then you are familiar with learning new behaviors to cope with life on life's terms. There are many places to learn these skills besides AA.

Congratulations on your sober time! People do get sober for medical reasons. The fact that you have chosen to remain sober means that you want to live the rest of your life without the "hot mess" of alcoholism.

Congratulations!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can choose for yourself, what you are is free. Has sobriety been a burden or a hardship? If you are an alcoholic and I have no way of knowing, if you pick back up you'll be right back where you were before stopping or worse in just a matter of days or weeks, its the nature of the beast. You didn't choose sobriety it choose you. You may be wise not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Whatever you decide all my best to you.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Pelican!

No, Im not a hot mess when I'm sober! And yes to everything else!

I obtained a masters in counseling and i am working on an addictions certificate. I havent worked in the field yet as I still need to intern. But my classes taught me so much about myself. I want to photocopy the material in the books and hand it to my old addict friends.

I guess I did choose to get sober. I mean I do leave my house. Could have easily went to the bar instead of sitting home on a friday night reading. I bartended for years...my friends all hang out there...I just choose to stay away.

And thanks for the congrats!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
You can choose for yourself, what you are is free. Has sobriety been a burden or a hardship? If you are an alcoholic and I have no way of knowing, if you pick back up you'll be right back where you were before stopping or worse in just a matter of days or weeks, its the nature of the beast. You didn't choose sobriety it choose you. You may be wise not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Whatever you decide all my best to you.
Mycoolfitz-

Has sobriety been a burden? Hmm...well i feel life is so boring when you are sober. I feel like I am missing out on fun. I dont ever want to do anything "sober" because I never did anything sober. However, my life was a mess when i was drinking. And now it is not.

Was I an alcoholic? That's another good question because I dont know. I never had the typical shakes, I never had to wake up and drink, and I could go a day or two without drinking. However by the age of 25, I could out drink seasoned alcoholics under the table, I was always blacking out, missing work, in debt, driving drunk, i could not have one drink because that would lead to 20, and I was popping Xanax and doing lines of cocaine all day, every day.

I have a sick thought in my head if I started drinking again I could just have one or two and I could control it. Ironically, if someone gave me a Xanax, I know I would be abusing them within a week.

Everyone tells me my medical condition- although its horrible and will eventually kill me- really did save my life. I know it did get me out of addiction....I honestly think I'm just going thru a bunch of stuff right now and think drinking again will make it all go away. When I know it may probably make it a lot worse.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey brother welcome to the field. I was a licensed addiction counselor but I gave it up because I was active. Wish you the best with your certificate.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mycoolfitz!

Thanks! But it's "hey sister" because I'm a female

I heard alot of addiction counselors are former addicts. Is this true? And do u reveal ur history of addiction in job interviews because of all teh personal knowledge?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Most people that go into addiction counseling were addicts themselves at one point, or their lives were impacted by an addict. I don't know if I would be comfortable talking to a professional who hadn't been there. It gives you some street credit I think.

Being that you were confined in your house for years because of your medical condition, it is no wonder that your old life looks like an appealing alternative now that you have the opportunity to get out. Honestly it sounds like prison (not that I have ever been there) but a lot of inmates that get released go right back to the life they knew on the outside which eventually leads them back to jail/prison. It's easy to go back to what you knew, and it can seem hard to try something new.

There is so much in life to experience, I myself feel like I have wasted so many years. So now I am in recovery and trying to quit drinking. But I don't want it to just be about what I quit, I need it to be about what I now want to start. What I haven't had the patience or guts to do before. Here's my partial list -

Learn After Effects
Create a piece of art that is more than just a pretty picture
Serve a 10 course meal that is actually good
Grow my own food
Raise a dog
Watch my daughter get her first belt in jujitsu
Make a mocumentary
Get all my old friends who are scattered together for one weekend
Make love to my husband in a public place
Go camping in YellowStone
Get over my fear of seaweed
Get over my insecurities
Not drink for 30 days
I hope to scratch this last one off the list first and replace it with 60, 90 and on and on
Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oops, sorry. Depends on the situation regarding time and stability sober. Your years should count, my months don't. I'm thinking if you're thinking of picking up again given your history you might want to rethink your career choice, ethics and pracicality come into play. The closest I get now until some years sober is teaching a prevention course at the university here. There are lots of alcoholics/addicts in the profession, not all of them clean and sober unfortunately. Lots in the helping field overall, doctors, nurses, counselors, on and on. Recovered and healthy they can be a real plus, not so the ought not be active in the field. I couldn't do it any longer and live with myself. We all make our own choices. Hey I'm alive, I do my best, I've got no complaints or regrets, it is what it is, I move on, older and hopefully wiser.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Killingmesmalls-

U are so correct that this has felt like jail! I think about this all of the time! Yea I can leave my house...but not being allowed to work and fully function is driving me insane. That's why I sit around and wish for me former "fun" life...but in reality, how much fun was it really?

I also made a list of a goals to obtain. I know we are suppose to concentrate on today, but if I do not make long range goals, then today will be a mess because I will have no direction. And when I lose direction in life, I turn back to drinking and become a hot mess again.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mycoolfitz-

I appreciate the info! You gave me a better prospective than any of my professors have!

Here's my thing- I think "How can I tell clients to live sober when I do not think sobriety is a great thing?" This mentality comes from my immaturity, the fact that I am not fully recovered, and from the fact that a lot of people I know are still drinking and doing drugs. I DO KNOW that drugs and alcohol are bad, and that one is so much better of in recovery and achieving sobriety. My whole issue is telling this to my cravings and my addict train of thought.

I also looked into the teaching route. With all of my addictions knowledge, maybe I could teach fundamental substance abuse courses. I also have a degree in Human Services, so I'm not locked into just counseling. I could probably get a job as a college substance abuse coordinator as well.

Right now I'm on track to be a licensed professional counselor and to start a Phd program in COunselor Education. But I'm seriously considering haulting all of this until I get my act together and fully see the light.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You seem to have a real dilimma here. To drink or not, to pursue your current path towards a PhD, to begin a career as a substance counselor, and all that makes for some heady thinking. Let's start with the drinking. You've been sober for four years but you seem to question this sobriety since you were forced into it. Let me say that four years sober is four years sober. But sobriety is a funny thing. What you have is physical sobriety - you don't drink. What you're missing is the other (and more important in my opinion) component. And I think that you realize something's missing. I'll put a name on it for you. It's called emotional sobriety.

I'm really impressed by what you've accomplished so far in life. But it's especially significant that you realize something's missing, and it really isn't the drinking, is it? You could always find out if alcohol is the missing link and that's to start drinking again. But from experience let me warn you that that isn't a very good idea. That is, unless you want to throw away everything you've achieved so far.

So if emotional sobriety is the solution to all your problems, and I kinda think it is, then how do you go about getting some of this stuff? I got mine through the program of AA. Walking through the doors of AA after 4 years of not drinking may seem a bit weird, but it really isn't. I've known several people who've joined well after they stopped drinking. But this is only my suggestion based on my experience. Others here may have different ideas and by all means you should listen to everyone. And don't give up on the substance abuse counseling idea. With what you've undergone and what you've accomplished, you'll make a great counselor. You just need to polish up that emotional stuff.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Joedris!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement!

You are 100% correct. I do not have emotional sobriety. I have physical sobriety. My body is 100% detoxed from all the junk I pumped into it. And i'm pretty sure my brain has somewhat recovered from the addiction, as my memory has come back.

Emotionally I am not recovered at all. I think all the drama and stuff I avoided in my substance abuse and over the last 4 years is all coming to a head right now and I really cant handle it. I started drinking in 7th grade and everytime something bad happened I would just drink, smoke, or snort my problems away. So now I want to drink to avoid all of this stuff swarming in my head. And I want to shout "WHY CANT I JUST BE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON AND BE ABLE TO HAVE ONE DRINK AND CONTROL IT?"

I was thinking about NA or AA. But I'm afraid to go...because I am going to just start crying and not be able to stop. My family and friends are oblivious to what I was really doing all of those years. They knew I would be out all night with my friends. But when I tell them I'm an addict they scream "Dont say that ur not an addict. Lets just have a beer and talk." They dont realize that one drink could literally throw everything I've worked for right out the window.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flipfloplover View Post

So now I want to drink to avoid all of this stuff swarming in my head. And I want to shout "WHY CANT I JUST BE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON AND BE ABLE TO HAVE ONE DRINK AND CONTROL IT?"

I was thinking about NA or AA. But I'm afraid to go...because I am going to just start crying and not be able to stop.
Maybe that's precisely what you need to do.

You have many questions, even after your formal education and four years of not drinking or using.... Some of your questions have no answer... some do, but they are within yourself and not in a book or on a website. There is a spiritual solution to your problems and if you are willing to seek that solution, you will find it.

I hear intellectual maturity in what you have posted. But not emotional maturity. You said so yourself, so I hope you don't take offense. Maybe crying is the first step for you.

If you haven't been to AA, you really owe it to yourself. Go to a few, go to some different meetings... After 4 years, a few meetings is a drop in the bucket, time wise....

Mark
Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cubile speaks true. Letting all that pent up stuff out would be good for you. And believe me, you not the first to break down at a meeting. Just go, meet people, make sure they know you're a newcomer, get some phone numbers, ask someone to be a temporary sponsor, and be sure to buy a Big Book. And if the people at the first meeting turn you off (that does happen), then try another meeting. Try a Women's Meeting if that would let you feel more comfortable. And good luck! Let us know how it went, ok?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Cubile75!

You are so right! And i am by no way offended. I kept thinking "If I am sober, then why don't I feel sober?" That's why I posted the thread with the title "What am I?"

Im sitting here reading about group therapy for substance abusers for school (weird, right?) and I see a pattern of growth and change among the clients as they progress within the group. I may have cold turkeyed everything- but by no way did I explore my self and the past. So while I have grown over the years and I can now say no to drugs and alcohol, basically i think i have emotionally stayed the same. I'm an addict trying to google what is going on inside me and then use it to give myself therapy. Obviously this isn't working!

Thanks so much for the insight. I can honestly say I need a 12 step group and some therapy.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the information, Joedris. It may have only taken u 2 minutes to answer my post, but you realistically may have just changed my life.

Can I ask- should I go to AA or NA? I'm quite the drinker....but I was heavily using cocaine for 10 years also.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I prefer AA. Pills were part of my experience, but AA is where I need to be. I guess you should try both. They are different.

Mark