Old 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
kurtrambis

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
I agree with all of this, sfgirl, except the part I bolded. I work with a lot of newcomers, and I'm pretty in the loop when a new guy comes in. Those that work the steps thoroughly do recover with almost no exceptions. I can't speak with any authority at all on those that stay sober without being in AA. I have little opportunity to be around them. But, AA is a little microcosm of the recovery population. I get to observe people at all points along the spectrum in that small world. Those that work the steps recover. Those that hang around and try to stay sober on their own, even while showing up for meetings, tend to hang around for a few months or a year, and disappear. Then they show up again a year later.

Please don't take this is a defense of AA. I have no need to defend it. If someone finds that they just can't stay sober doing what they are doing, or they've exhausted all their options, or they are just plain miserable being sober, AA offers a solution that will work for them.

I find serious joy and a revolutionary change in my approach to life by living by those AA principles. I believe that same thing is available to anyone who sincerely wants it and is willing to work for it. It doesn't mean you can't find it outside of AA. It just means that if you can't find it, AA has a solution.
I cannot get sober by doing the 12 steps is I am an atheist/agnostic.
I suffer from depression, I self medicate with alcohol. 12 steps and big book actually aggravates my depression therefore its counter productive to me personally.

In my time in AA:
I have heard people tell stories of people who have done the 12 steps been sponsors and have gone back drinking.
I personally know people who have done the steps and gone back drinking
I also know people who have been all gung ho about the steps, have not done them but are working towards them who have gone back drinking. 12 steps is far from perfect.

Aswell I have never known of anyone do the steps under 12 months. Infact I have known people who take years. The fact that they are able to abstain for long enough to complete the steps shows their commitment to sobriety which is, IMO, the real driving force behind long term sobriety.

I think there should be more emphasis on motivational therapy getting somebody to the point of being willing being positive about recovery which you can get from good AA groups. Some can be defeatist and negative, that's why I believe its good to shop around. Ultimately it up to the individual.

Edit: bugs like it 'alcoholism is a disease of choice one you catch from open bottles'. reckon it sorts out the disease/choice debate, its both and everybody is happy