Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
kurtrambis

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Dear kurtrambis, I will concede the definition of chronic as long lasting, but let's also include the word "continuing". But alcoholism is not merely the overconsumption of alcohol. If that were the case, then the majority of people who drink would be considered alcoholics as most of them have overconsumed at some point in time. I would again refer to the AMA definition (which I argue is the generally accepted definition) of alcoholism which includes the words "continuous or periodic impaired control over drinking..." Alcoholics drink because they cannot not drink. They are physically and psychologically dependent on the drug alcohol.
Yes I agree Joe getting drunk the odd time doesn't make you an alcoholic

Whether an alcoholic is drinking or not has no bearing on the existence of the disease. I'm an alcoholic. I haven't had a drink in a long time but my doctor considers me to have the disease of alcoholism and writes prescriptions accordingly.
Well as you probably know Joe whether alcoholism is a disease or not is debatable even amongst the professionals, but that's another thread. I can understand that calling yourself an alcoholic for the rest of your life my help you abstain. But if you haven't drank alcohol for a number of years I don't see anything wrong with somebody calling themselves an ex alcoholic just like other addicts call themselves ex smokers, ex drug addicts etc. Also my local addiction team doesn't label people as alcoholics. each to their own.

I do agree with you on the point of AA nazis and the isms mentality. It's unfortunate but a lot of the old timers in AA have a simplistic attitude of one size fits all. They're going to do things because that's the way they were taught. One thing I've learned over the years is that alcoholism affects everyone differently, and each alcoholic who walks through the doors is a unique individual with unique problems. It's sad that the nazi mentality turns so many people away. I guess I was lucky as my initial exposure had a good impression on me. I could have easily walked away disgusted, too.
Its not just so called AA nazis share this view its most of the kind people in AA aswell. Who taught the old timers you talk about where are they getting their ideas from. The Big book. That's the problem, not the people in AA but the big book.
If I actually believed everything in the big book I would share the exact same views as them, fortunately I don't.