Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
NoelleR

my 2 cents; FWIW

I guess I should preface this with.....most folks tell me that I should keep my suggestions regarding children to myself as I've never had any children (of my own, that is).....BUT, I have helped in the rearing of several children, so I do have some experience......a wee bit, at least.

In my bit of experience with children I've found that us oldsters seem to underestimate most children. Now, I'm not telling you that you should tell your son all that's going on, but the 14 y/o's I've dealt with were old enough to handle this kind of knowledge. In fact, many felt honored to be included in some 'grown-up stuff.'

My only suggestion might be, to first off have a conversation with your son as to what he already knows; what he thinks he may know....along those lines. Then you could make the decision as to how much more he maybe should know (but not in an accusatory way against his father). ...something along the line of.....: it appears that your father may be getting himself into some more troubling stuff now.....and then take it from there as to how he reacts with that.

The hairs on my neck are tingling.....sometimes kids learn stuff from other kids or ..... who know where they get their info, but if your son finds out some of the things you're trying to protect him from.....sometimes, some kids get 'ticked-off' for being excluded.....

.....anyway, just wanted to share a couple of things from my past experience; may not be the best; heck, may not even be close to what you're dealing with........but so far, all I got to say to you is......goodonya, you're doing a great job................ (o:

NoelleR