Thread: Oral surgery
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Overman
9/15/08

Oral surgery

Recently had my bottom two wisdom teeth removed. Strangely, I don't feel as if my IQ was penalized.

I was honest and up front with the dentist and oral surgeon about being 11 months sober when filling out my questionnaire about 'medical conditions'.

After the surgery, the guy prescribed me 10x Lortab. Those lasted about three days.

I went back at that time because my whole face and neck were tender and I was in pain. Couldn't sleep or work effectively. I told him I was still in pain, yet he refused to write me another script for narcotics, given my alcoholism. I've never had a problem abusing opiates in the past.

I'm very conflicted about this. I had legitimate pain and wasn't abusing the Lortab, and I feel as if the guy was covering his ass by not prescribing them to me. He literally told me to "keep taking Motrin or whatever" and sent me home.

I was in more pain than was necessary for a week following that. It disrupted my job, as well as my ability to eat even soft, liquidy foods.

Now I'm fully recovered from the surgery, but I still have some resentment over the issue. Anyone else with a similar situation?