Notices

Oral surgery

Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
9/15/08

Oral surgery

Recently had my bottom two wisdom teeth removed. Strangely, I don't feel as if my IQ was penalized.

I was honest and up front with the dentist and oral surgeon about being 11 months sober when filling out my questionnaire about 'medical conditions'.

After the surgery, the guy prescribed me 10x Lortab. Those lasted about three days.

I went back at that time because my whole face and neck were tender and I was in pain. Couldn't sleep or work effectively. I told him I was still in pain, yet he refused to write me another script for narcotics, given my alcoholism. I've never had a problem abusing opiates in the past.

I'm very conflicted about this. I had legitimate pain and wasn't abusing the Lortab, and I feel as if the guy was covering his ass by not prescribing them to me. He literally told me to "keep taking Motrin or whatever" and sent me home.

I was in more pain than was necessary for a week following that. It disrupted my job, as well as my ability to eat even soft, liquidy foods.

Now I'm fully recovered from the surgery, but I still have some resentment over the issue. Anyone else with a similar situation?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

He had probably been burned before by someone less responsible.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It might not have had anything to do with your history. When I had my wisdom teeth cut out. My oral surgeon wouldn't give me a refill of my pain medication, either. And I was still hurting, too! He told me to take Advil. I say it might not be your history of alcoholism, because I wasn't in recovery then, and didn't tell mine anything about my drinking.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ouch.....sorry your pain lasted so long....

My experiences with oral surgeons was
the same with regards to 3 days of pain meds.

I made no mention of alcohol as
I was still drinking and had no plans
to quit at that time.

However...I was not in as much distress as you.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

I never got more pills than that, even when I made no mention of addiction issues and wanted them for more than the typical three day deal. Three days is quite standard, high dose ibuprofin to follow.

Now, because of my addiction issues and committment to sobriety I refuse narcotic pain management, which I've done for over a year. I have found that we really do have quite a remarkable ability to survive most aches and pains without getting doped up. But that's just me.

I'm glad you're feeling better now!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

During 'family week' at my son's rehab they are very adamant that those in recovery should abstain from ALL addictive drugs because of "cross-addiction". Your doctor, if he were well-informed, would should not have even given you the Lortab. So, he was right not to prescribe anything more.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I had my wisdom teeth taken out I was still in college and drinking at will. The doc gave me some codeine and they gave me a splitting headache. I went to the Pub and a guy I play pool with told me he loves codeine, so I traded him the pills for a pitcher of beer and two shots of Cuervo Gold.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
9/15/08

@ smacked

Resilience is one thing. Living in agony for the sake staying 'sober' is another. I'm not an opiate addict, so I wonder what the realistic options are for pain treatment, especially when faced with chemotherapy or a condition that causes chronic pain...not just a minor wisdom tooth extraction (?)

@ tjp

I am well aware of 'cross-addiction'. But in reality, I'm not going to get hooked on a tiny supply of non-refillable Lortab or Vicodin.

My point is that there are occasions when addicts have legit pain. There's no reason to assume that every alcoholic is going to relapse because they took narcotics for a short period of time as prescribed.

I agree that some doctors that are educated about addiction do their patients a service by being careful. Others (like mine) seemed to jump to conclusions about my well-being.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On the path to self discovery

Originally Posted by Overman View Post
I am well aware of 'cross-addiction'. But in reality, I'm not going to get hooked on a tiny supply of non-refillable Lortab or Vicodin.

My point is that there are occasions when addicts have legit pain. There's no reason to assume that every alcoholic is going to relapse because they took narcotics for a short period of time as prescribed.

I agree that some doctors that are educated about addiction do their patients a service by being careful. Others (like mine) seemed to jump to conclusions about my well-being.

I totally agree. Pain pills are for pain, and if your problem was with alcohol, then it doesnt sound reasonable to me to suffer when you have legit pain.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rockstar

You are absolutely right Overman. I don't care how high ones pains tolerance is, you get something really wrong like vehicle accidents or cancer for example (and being an ex paramedic Ive seen my fair share) and everyone needs powerful pain meds. Ive administered ketamine to lots and at the scene of accidents we aren't in the habit of assessing addiction problems, we are there for pain control, stabilising the patient and getting them to A&E as soon as possible.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is documented that any addictive substance can trigger a relapse no matter what your DOC is. Believe what you will.