View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
naive

I phoned and got some free legal advice and also spoke to Immigration, and it turns out that I may be able to get some financial assistance as a lone parent, from the govt, under the Children's Act, even though I'm not a citizen (b/c I have a dependent who was born here). Also, startling news was that I have to be looking for work, and prove it, in order to get my indefinite leave to remain in the country. So, during my son's nap I was busy registering with an agency and applying for a job online and making some phone calls like a crazy person. I don't want to have to work and get someone else to look after him, but it seems I have little choice right now. It will only be a couple of days a week, I'm not prepared to do more than that when he's so young. Apparently then I'm entitled to certain tax credit benefits regardless of my immigration status, which will help financially. But I won't be able to afford to stay in this house or one like it. I'd have to share a room with my son in someone else's house. It's all very hectic to think about
that's all good. from what you've reported here, they are saying that you are perhaps eligible for job seekers allowance and work tax credit.

the job seekers allowance is £64/week plus your rent paid and council tax reduced to £14/month.

the work tax credit is if you get a part-time job, they will supplement your income.

i *think* that single parents only have to work less than 16 hours/week or not at all.

i find myself wondering if you would be eligible for a crisis loan. you don't have to be on benefits to receive one. it's for emergency situations to pay for the electricity and gas and food. the number is 0800-328-3036. they will normally give you, if eligible, about half of what you request, so consider that when you tell the amount you are applying for. if you want to PM me, we could discuss in more detail.

as for your job seeking, go on-line at Jobcentre Plus

tell them you are looking at that database. there are so few postings, it would be close to impossible to actually get a job there but it meets their requirement that you are looking.

really, it would be best get the dole (jobseeker) and housing forms (local council), fill them in with their help (or i could help you) and see what the response is. you could put in a request to start a new claim by calling 0800-055-6688. if you call that number, they will set up a first appointment for you at your local jobcentre.

if you feel comfortable, you could PM me what country you are from and i would be happy to go down to my local jobcentre here and try to get some information for you. i have a few friends who work there who would help me get some answers.

the other people i would talk to would be the homeless department. when my xABF turned violent, i went there and told them that i was soon to be homeless. it was them who helped me claim for my own house. they also offered me temporary shelter in an apartment they had for desperate people. if you go to them, tell them that you and your son are soon to be homeless because your partner is an alcoholic. they will know what resources are available to you.

naive