View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by jade09 View Post
I'm a smart person, I mean the best....I just fall short when it comes to will power
Maybe willpower is not the entire answer? Maybe that will, as strong as it is, needs to be directed along different lines?

I'm a pretty smart and capable guy. I've got a track record of being able to accomplish whatever I set out to do. But when it came to alcohol, I fell short every time. I lived in a fantasy world for quite some time, always thinking that if I just worked harder, applied myself better, or really really tried to stay sober, I'd be able to accomplish that as well. If only I managed well, all would be better.

That was my delusion. Today I don't cling to any notion that I can work or think my way out of alcoholism. I don't know the first thing about staying sober. But I had some people tell me that if I took certain actions, if I directed my will along certain lines, I would recover. So I did. I abandoned myself to the same path that they had travelled. And I got the same result they got.

Here's a little secret, Jade. Those actions that I have to take to stay sober and have a fulfilling and wondrous life, are the exact same actions that a newcomer to sobriety has to take. Exactly the same.