View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by bohemianzen View Post
i feel ashamed and dumb that i couldn't learn it so many years ago. i have to make this be my bottom no matter what happens.
Here's my take on bottoms. I like to picture hitting bottom as a bouncy kind of thing. It's attractive for me to think of a bottom as something I hit, and then bounce up from.

My experience, on the other hand, shows that I can hit a bottom and just keep scraping along, digging a little lower as the days go on.

My point is, this can be an impetus for change, or it can be one more bump in the process of digging a deeper hole.

My own experience with DUI's were that they sobered me up for a while. I managed better. And when the sentencing was done, invariably I'd be just as drunk as ever in a short time. My experience is that dramatic events such as DUIs did very little for my recovery.

Case in point, there wer two newcomers at my home group meeting on Friday. One of them was walking with a cane and limp, had a plate in his shoulder, arm in a cast, all sorts of messed up from a drunklen motorcycle accident in November. He has failed to saty sober since then. The other had recently lost a finger in a drunken event. He too has failed to sober.

These two guys have physical consequences that are going to last a lifetime. Far worse consequences than a DUI. These consequences are fresh in their minds. And those negative consequences have failed to keep them sober.

So, again, negative consequences of my drunkenness can be an impetus for recovery, but they are not the recovery itself.

Today is the day, bohemianzen, to decide if you are willing to go to any lengths to quit drinking for good and all. I would urge you to find someone in the AA program who talks about a spiritual solution to your hopeless condition.